Glade Part 14 - Moonlit Walk A

Rachel sees Mako again and he invites her out for a walk that night if she's not too tired. R: "Where and when should I meet you then?"
M: "We're going out of Glade's territory, so meet at his house and we'll go to a park by taxi."
"I don't know where most of the edges of his territory are."
"You'll probably see the change in us when we cross it, but he's got maps of where we're going."
"Ok."
"Glade said about your heart. Are you ok"
"Yeah, it's just stress that does it. I think I'm getting used to it now."
"If it affects you again you'll have three of us there to catch you."
"Yeah, but the three of you being there might be the problem."
"You don't have to go."
"I will."
"If you're sure, be there by about half ten."
"I won't be late."
She keeps her promise and turns up early. Mako has a map he bought earlier and shows her exactly where the edges of Glade's territory are. "I thought it would be bigger."
G: "I do not need more space. I can hunt easily in what I have and to expand it would mean patrolling the boundaries like a dog, which I will not do."
L: "Calm down you two. Are you ready to go Rachel?"
"Yeah, but I'm not sure I'll remember everything."
L: "I'll be ready if there's any trouble."
"Thanks."
Lana lets Rachel go first, and the boys have a small argument over who goes first. L: "Shut it the pair of you. Mako first and Glade locks the door." They do what she says without question. Glade is the oldest, but she beat Glade after he beat Mako, so she is the alpha here. Lana walks close and whispers to Rachel "I swear they act more like dogs sometimes."
M: "I heard that." Lana howls for him and he laughs.
"I thought we were going by taxi."
L: "We are. It should be here soon, they're both getting a bit pissed off right now and they need as much space as they can get right now."
"I get it. What happened to make them like this? Mako said bad history."
"Yeah, we tried living as one group and it didn't work out. Mako challenged Glade and lost, I challenged him for beating up my mate and I won."
"That's why they listen to you and not each other then?"
"Exactly. I think the taxi is just round the corner now." She's right. "Mako, far side, Glade, you first." Just like before, they both do what she says. The boys are silent during the ride, but they let Lana and Rachel chat. R: "What else exists?"
L: "Weres exist, somewhere. We haven't actually met one. Have you Glade?" He shakes his head. "It's nothing to do with a full moon, but the canines do act a bit odd at full moon time. They say they want to howl at it. The smaller felines hunt out rodents, the bigger ones hunt anything that moves, apart from their own of course. Humans have seen them, which is where the werewolf stories came from."
"What about fairies?" Glade and Mako suddenly relax. Mako shivers a little and glade starts looking out the window. L: "Not that we know of."
"Mermaids?"
"There is something tot hat. Weres can change part way into what they are, so one who could change into some water creature would be able to half change so that they look like a mermaid."
"Ok. Does that explain anything that looks half human?"
"Yes, but some might exist as a different species somewhere. Like when that giant rat was discovered."
"Yeah. Did you know that it was happy?"
"How would you know that a giant rat is happy?"
"Rats grind their teeth when they're happy, and the one they showed on tv was grinding it's teeth." L: "Cool." The taxi stops outside a park and the boys get out, and hold the doors open. Mako pays and Glade doesn't argue this time. "Ok, that's weird."
L: "I did say that they're going to be different once we got out here. This is neutral space, so there's nothing for them to fight about." Mako comes over and kisses Lana.
G: "Are you well Rachel?"
"Yeah, I'm fine. This is just a bit weird. I'm with three vampires, in the middle of nowhere. This shouldn't exist. Am I actually in a padded room somewhere hallucinating from the drugs?"
M: "No, you're not hallucinating. You don't have to believe that we're vampires, you could just be going out for a moonlit walk with mates."
"Yeah. Actually that does help, thanks. As long as you don't do anything impossible."
L: "Fair enough."
G: "Which way are we going?"
M: "Between the trees, round the top of the sports bit, across to the far corner, then back down here on the paths."
G: "Good choice."
Mako and Lana go off together, and Glade waits for Rachel.

Comments