Glade Part 21 - Visiting Fulmine A


Rachel doesn't feel safe with Glade gone so she goes looking for Fulmine. She doesn't know where to look so she wanders around the clubs she knows of and finds a group of other people. A young man starts following her and she notices him. Another joins him, and she starts seeing others around her. It's too late now, she can't get away. She sees Fulmine walking toward her and the men don't come any closer. Fulmine's eyes are glowing brightly and the man who seems to be the leader talks first but to his group. "She's with the fire eyes." Most of them wander away and Fulmine growls at the two or three who hang back. Before Rachel can thank her she speaks "What do you think you're doing wandering around at night? If I hadn't been here, what would they have done? If not them then who would have found you? What would they have done to you?" Rachel starts crying and Fulmine hugs her. "It's not safe out here at night. Not on your own. I should have told you where to find me. Come on, we'll go home.”
"Sorry."
"You're safe now. That's all that matters." Fulmine likes tea so she makes a mug for Rachel. F: "Plenty of sugar in it."
"Thanks."
"Why did you come find me?"
"Glade's gone..."
"Yeah, he's gone to see Raine. Is this about what happened with that guy?" Rachel nods. "And you felt safe with Glade because you know he's strong?" Rachel nods again. "And you came to find me because you know I'm strong too?" Rachel nods and starts crying again. "That's ok, but you could have stayed home."
"Dylan smashed the window and took back everything he gave me."
"Oh. Then you can stay here as long as you like."
"Do you know when he'll be back?"
"No, and you can never tell how long he's going to be away. He could be gone one night or he could be gone for a month. It depends on how many younglings try to invade this time. Is there anything you need from your home?"
"What?"
"Do you want me to go pick up some things for you?"
"No, thanks."
"Sure you don't want your toothbrush or something?"
"Oh, yeah, I would want that."
"I'll go with you and bring you back here if you like."
"Yes please." Fulmine waits till Rachel finishes her tea before they go out. R: "Why did that guy call you fire eyes earlier?"
"Because my eyes glow a fiery orange."
"Oh."
"Did you expect a story?"
"Yeah I did." Fulmine laughs then continues "We've met before, and there's a story there, but not about him calling me Fire Eyes." When they get there Rachel finds a bag and starts packing up a few clothes. Fulmine doesn't follow her everywhere, but stays in sight. R: "I just don't feel safe at home. If I'd been there when he broke in..."
"I know what you mean. A young man liked me and was jealous of Brock so he broke in trying to get me away from him. It didn't work, it just proved that I couldn't trust him." "Couldn't you make him go away?"
"This was before I changed."
"Oh. Right. What's it like to change?"
"That's a bit personal for me. Glade might tell you but I'd rather not."
"Ok."
"Sometimes I wonder if I chose right."
"Why?" Fulmine doesn't answer. "Sorry, too many questions."
"No it's fine, I was just thinking. I guess the first time was when I was about twenty years after I changed. I met a guy who was my age if I’d not changed and I thought that I was just wrong. I hadn't needed to lie about my age before."
"Is it worth it?"
"Usually yes, but when you get moments like that it doesn’t seem like it's worth it." Rachel looks out of the window and thinks about what Fulmine said, and after a few minutes starts talking again. "I don't think I would want to do it."
"That's down to you. If you do, you do, and if you don't, you don't. We'll always be there as friends either way."
"Thanks."
"Isn't that what friends should do?"
"I guess, but it's not often you meet people who are actually like that." Fulmine smiles and so does Rachel.

Comments