Glade Part 24 - Visiting Raine C

Glade comes out of the trance after about three hours, and Raine takes her turn. He curls up with her so his head is on her side and he's facing the door. He remembers the last time he was with Raine and dreams for a couple of hours. He hears a key in a lock and wakes up to find a young man in the house. He had a key, so he's not a threat to them. G: "Hello."
"Hi. Glade, right?"
"Yeah."
"James."
"Right."
"That good?"
"What?"
"Never mind. Where's Raine?" Glade opens the door and lets James see. "Fine."
"I don't want to wake her."
"I thought you lot didn't sleep."
"We don't."
"So how do you wake?"
"The same way you do. I guess what Raine is doing now is sleep."
"Any idea what time she'll wake up?"
"No. There's probably food and drinks for you here."
"Yeah me and Rose come over a lot."
"I don't know how to make coffee."
"Are you high or something? From what Raine said I thought you'd be different."
"I've just been dreaming too long."
"Yeah, right, I've heard that before. Raine said poppy works for you."
"I wouldn't."
"I've heard that too." James wanders off to get something to drink. Glade hears Raine move and sees her at the door a few seconds later. "Hi James."
"Evening."
"Why didn't you call me?"
"I didn't want to interrupt."
J: "I used the key."
R: "Been here long?"
"About a minute."
G: "We already hunted."
"I know. I asked him before I asked you and I thought you might like to play, like we used to."
Glade smiles, remembering the nights out when she was young. "I remember. Thank you."
J: "What do you remember?"
G: "What we used to play. It was to teach Raine how to use her abilities, but we liked it, so we kept playing."
J: "I'm up for anything you're up for." They look at each other and smile. "What am I missing?"
G: "Doesn't matter."
J: "Ok."
R: "It's not that."
J: "If you say so."
G: "What?"
R: "I don't need to be a mind reader to know what he was thinking." When James has finished his coffee they start playing. R: "You first."
G: "No, but thanks."
R: "Just like before." She wanders over to James and starts making him drowsy, but stops and growls faintly. Glade does the same. J: "What?"
G: "They might go."
J: "Another one?"
G: "This place is perfect, apart from everyone else knowing it's perfect. You shouldn't stay here."
R: "I called, they need three weeks."
"I'll go."
"No, my patch, I go."
"Together then." She growls at him and he ignores it. "That's an order."
J: "Order?"
G: "As her teacher. We're going to have to leave you here."
J: "Fine by me."

Raine goes straight to the place where she knows the invader is. Glade can feel it more through her than by himself. The youngling sees them and shows submission. Raine slows down, but she's still too angry to be able to speak. G: "Why are you here?"
"I don't have anywhere to go. I've been hiding in sheds and shops for months. I don't know anyone."
G: "Then go back to your teacher."
"He chases me away every time I try."
Raine moves away a few steps and tries to calm down. The young female moves forward and Raine growls at her. G: "Go home." Raine growls and shakes her head. He sees that her claws have grown and that she's now dangerous. G: "As your teacher I command you to go home, now." She does go, slowly. G: "I can't stay now. What's your name?"
"Sage."
"Unusual. Who is your teacher?"
"Marlin."
"That explains the name."
"Yeah. He won't let me back, he won't even talk to me."
"I'll help, as soon as I'm back home. How old are you?"
"Fourteen. I've been away from him for about a year."
"He should have asked someone to care for you."
"I don't think he knows anyone either. His teacher is gone, and he doesn't know where my brothers are."
"Would that be Briar and Rowan?"
"Yeah. Do you know them?"
"No, but I know where they are and who lives near them." He takes out his phone and calls a friend. "They're living together, and they're friendly, but she doesn't have a number for them."
"Where are they? I'll go see if I can find them."
"High Green, Sheffield."
"Thank you." She walks away and Glade goes back to Raine.
R: "What did she want?"
"I told her where to find her brothers. She won't bother you again."
"I'm worried about you."
"I'm fine. If I can't stay, then I won't stay."
"I wish you could stay, but you can't."
"I have time to get home. I can't stay when you're like this."
"Don't go."
"I have to. If I stay any longer I won't get back in time."
"I know. I don't want you to go and I don't want to hurt you. Go." He kisses her and starts walking. She walks with him as far as she can and they stand apart for a minute before they go their seperate ways.

Comments