Pompom flower



We've started making pompom wall art at group. A friend bought too many makers and gave me two to play with so I've been making a big flower. I think it was THIS ONE. It's not finished yet but it's nearly there. I need to find a plate about the right size and cut out a cardboard circle as a back. Then I want to make 6 little green ones to go between the petals like stamens. I had just enough grey to make the three little ones and I like those, but I ran out of grey so I either need to make 3 more and alternate them, or make 6 more the same. I think I'd rather have 6 green ones the same but I'll pause at 3 and see how it looks. I'll probably make 6 green ones then use the grey ones anyway. My niece can have the other 3 green ones.



These are the maker tools. They're not the clover ones but they work just as well. A little more fiddly at the start till there's enough wool on it to hold them together but easier to remove at the end. To use them, hold the two pieces together, open, and lined up with the bumps on one side in the holes on the other side. My friend tried to use them without looking at instructions and wound wool around just one piece, which didn't work. Hold two pieces together, so that the bumps and holes line up. Start winding it around the curved part, not the flat part. If it goes round the flat part you'll have a tall spot on your pompom. Wrap it till it's at least two layers deep all over the maker. It takes a lot of wool to make a pompom so make sure you have plenty before you start if you want them to match (especially the big ones). Once the maker is wound up on both sides of the circle, clip it together. On the clover style ones the arms fold down but on these the sides clip together. Then cut all the way around the outside with small scissors. Keep it closed while you snip it. I've found it's faster to use the tip of the scissors to separate a few strands at a time and snip those. With it still closed, tie around it between the arms, and tie it as tight as you can. I do two overhand knots then turn it round and do another two, pulling it as tight as I can between each one. After it's tied up tight, unclip the maker and open it up. These are easier to remove, unclip it and slide it off. On the clover style ones you need to grab the white bits and pull the two halves apart.



These ones are 3.5cm for the smaller one, and 9cm for the bigger ones. If I was going to do this again with my own pompom makers I would use 6cm or 7cm (whatever came in the set) for the bigger ones. 

Comments