Glade Part 11 - Pictures B

Glade rests all day and tries to talk to Lana or Mako but neither of them are there so he finds his phone instead. "Some times the new ways work best."
"Hi Glade."
"Hello Mako. I wondered if you would like to visit me some time."
"Of course we would. What date do you have in mind?"
"Only you know what other arrangements you have."
"We don't have anything planned so we could come in a few days. How long do you want us?"
"You can stay as long or as little as you please."
"Right. Let me ask a minute........We'll be there after two days, and stay for three days."
"Good. I look forward to your arrival."
"So do we."
He gets some boxes out and starts putting away some of the pictures. Mako thinks it's creepy that he has so many on the walls at the same time. He remembers the time each photo was taken and stops at one which shows him and Raine standing next to a snowman and remembers that the nose fell off just after the photo was taken. Another picture, of Brock in shorts one summer. He hated those shorts but Raine insisted that he keep them on for a while. A drawing of Raven and Moonshadow. His name is Sabre now. Sabre the rogue, Sabre the killer. The only true monster among them. He has photos or drawings of every other vampire he's met. Even drawings of elders he only met once, like Taran in Wales when he visited Lana and Mako the first time. He was wandering for a while and met them when they were a lot younger than they are now. When Mako was still a youngling. The whole family plus a few friends went deer hunting, an event they host every few years if they can. He's been to a few of them, and met new friends every time. Raine could only go to one, but when she did she could talk with Arget and Rio. Sabre tries to gatecrash but rarely manages to find them. He might change back to how he was, but nobody wants to risk being killed to try it. He hasn't seen Daw for a long time either. They don't know each other that well, and he only has one picture of her looking out of the window at her home. He hears someone on the path at the front of his house so puts down the box and goes to see who it is. It's already past sunset, he was looking at old pictures all day. "Hi Glade. Are you busy?"
"Hello Rachel. I was putting away some of my pictures. Lana and Mako are going to visit."
"Oh. When?"
"Tuesday night."
"I'll help if you like."
"Thank you. If I take the pictures down, could put pack them away for me?"
"Sure. But why put them away?"
"Mako thinks it is creepy to have so many up at the same time."
"It is a bit."
"Maybe it is time to put some away. Some need to go into books now."
"In books?"
"Yes, I have a ring binder."
"Oh, right. I thought..."
"You thought I had published my pictures?"
"You could have done."
"That is a rather good idea. I may do just that. Thank you."
"You're welcome. Who's this?"
"Daw, my niece."
"Niece?"
"We like to use family terms for each other. Daw's teacher, Avalbane, would be my sister, so I am Daw's uncle. Though she is older than me."
"She can't be that much older than you."
"She is twenty eight years older than me. I have not seen her for a while."
"So invite her round too."
"I barely know her."
"Even more of a reason to invite her over."
"No. She would not want to come. I asked her a few years ago."
"That's years, she might want to see you by now."
"Three years is a short time to us."
"Right. So who's this?"
"Quercia on the right and his mate Angelo."
"But they're both guys."
"Yes."
"Oh."
"It was easier to hide in the last century. Two men travelling or even living together was not unusual. It is more unusual now, but humans do accept two men or two women easier now."
"I guess. But what if they get picked on?"
"Our company will help with that when needed."
"How? Do you have your own police or something?"
"No. We have people who are in contact with people who are affected by the sun like some of us are, so they can prove that we can not go out in day light, and we would need different treatment. We also have people who will make documents for us. When we need or want to move we can have a completely new identity made for us."
"So why not use it?"
"I do not like using them when they are not needed."
"Do you have one now?"
"Yes, I have one, but I rarely use it. I have an identification card to tell guards that I am old enough to enter clubs. The name on it is Jacob Schmid."
"Jacob suits you."
"Yes, it does seem to. The names are random from humans who have died."
"So if one was made for me I would be the last young white female who died, along with her medical records, dental records, school records, and birth certificate?"
"Almost. You could choose from a few who matched, then physical records, like dental records and documents with a photograph on it would be changed to match you."
"Clever. Who's this one?"
"That is Star. I should have made more pictures of her. We are strong, but not as strong as an articulated lorry with a drunk driver."
"Oh. Sorry."
"It was a long time ago. She had only been alone for just over a year."
"You've only got one picture of Daw. There's three here of Star."
"I know. I should go to see Daw even if she does not want me."
"What are Lana and Mako like?" He smiles, she's trying to stop him thinking about Star.
"Lana is calm, and a nightwalker, like me. She is about forty four. Mako is strong, a daywalker, and he is only twenty four now. They are mates, and the best match I have seen, though Lana does not like when he goes out without showing her what he can see. Mates mind's are linked so we can see each other's thoughts or surroundings if we wish it."
"So she can go out through him?"
"Yes. She could see anything he sees, or anything he feels, so they could feel a fabric through the other. I can do the same with Raine but she is usually so aggressive it affects me and she does not want to do that to me. You promised that you would stay home to rest tonight."
"But it's still early, and I'm helping you pack up pictures."
"I can manage the pictures alone, but you need to rest. You need to be active in day time."
"Okay, you got me. I'll go."
"Now please."
"Can't I stay?"
"No."
"Fine."

Comments