Glade Part 04 - New Friends

Rachel thinks all day about going back the next night, so much that other people start to notice.
"Rachel, you ok?"
"Yeah, I'm ok. My mind's somewhere else today."
"Hot date last night or something?"
"Or something. I was thinking about trying to find him tonight."
"He didn't hurt you or anything did he?"
"No, he didn't hurt me, I'm not even sure if he's straight the way he acts."
"So go meet him again. What's he like?"
"He's weird. He's not particularly good looking, and he's not cute, he's a bit old for that. But he's sexy, and strong, and really nice."
"Do you like him?"
"Yeah, but I don't think he likes me like that. He's married, sort of. But they don't live together."
"He's no good for you if he's trying to cheat."
"I think he's just lonely."
"I've heard that one before."
"I think I will go."
"I'll go with you."
"You sure?"
"Yeah, I don't have anything else to do. Where and when?"
"That purple club at 10, I can't remember the name of it."
"I know it, I'll come to yours."
"Thanks."
"Don't mention it."
Marcy is all dressed up when she gets to Rachel's house. "I thought you were only going to be there when I meet this guy."
"Might as well do some pulling while I'm there. You getting dressed up or not?"
"No. I'm not."
"You ready then?"
"Yeah."
Glade is already there when they arrive, but they don't see him. He's watching the crowd from a favourite table. The girls sit down and Glade wanders over to them. Marcy looks round when Rachel sees him. "Hello. It is nice to see you again."
"I'm not sure I really want to know more, but I want to get to know you."
"Of course. Would you introduce your friend?"
She whispers to Rachel "I see what you meant." Glade heard it, and smiles a little, and she blushes and looks away. "Um, this is Marcy, my friend. Marcy this is Glade."
"Hi Glade."
"Hello Marcy."
"Weird name."
"Marcy!"
"I do not mind when someone asks about my name. I like my name, I chose it."
"Really?"
"Yes."
"You talk weird."
"Each to their own." Marcy wanders off to talk to someone she knows. Rachel feels cheated, Marcy said she would be there with her and now she's wandered off. "She finds me boring."
"No she doesn't." He tilts his head slightly and smiles.
"I am calm, she is more used to this place."
"You don't like clubs?"
"I prefer quiet spaces. It is easy to hunt and meet people here."
"Do you want to go somewhere else then?"
"If you do not mind leaving your friend here." She can't see Marcy anywhere near them so sends a text telling her she's gone home. He takes her to a little space not far from the club. “I didn’t know this was here.”
“That is likely why it is so quiet.”
“Why here? I mean you could live anywhere you like can’t you?”
“I like this city. I own several houses across this country but this place is my current favourite.”
"Wouldn't it look odd with the same name on a house for hundreds of years? Do you live that long?"
“I would live as long as I like or until any creature chooses to destroy me.”
“Destroy you? Like in the stories?”
“Can you think of any creature which would survive a stake of wood being hammered through their heart or decapitation?”
“No. I can’t. What about crosses and holy water then?”
“Pure fiction. Though some do show dislike for a cross it is nothing to do with what they are.”
“How does becoming a vampire happen?”
“You know how it is done because it is like most stories.”
“Taking then giving back?”
“Yes.”
“How often do you need to hunt?”
“Roughly every eighth day. Young ones need to hunt more often then elders.” A fox wanders into the garden followed by three cubs. She settles down at the other side to let the cubs play. One of them wanders over to them and Glade sits on the ground. The cub sniffs him but his mother calls him back. "He's friendly."
"Yes. They are safe here with me."
"The hunter thing you said about yesterday. How much in the stories is right?"
"True blood lust happens only to the very young when they do not know how to control it. Some can go outside in day light, I can not. Some have fangs, others, like myself, have claws. Ugly things which I do not allow to grow when I have a choice."
"How can claws grow?"
"Those with claws have a spur." He holds out one hand and points to just under the nail. "Here." She feels for it gently and it's there, a little line, slightly curved, between the base of his nail and the first joint of his fingers. She lets go as soon as possible just because she doesn't know him that well yet. "It is triggered by adrenaline."
"Do you get lonely? I mean you're close to loads of people, but they never know you."
"I have friends who understand what I am. When the time comes I simply drift away. Our minds are changed so that we do not crave friendship nor miss it when it is gone. We only feel lonely if we are separated from our mate."
"Does that happen often?" He looks away for a few seconds before replying.
"I miss my mate Raine, but we can not live together. It hurts to be apart, but coming together at the wrong time would be lethal to me, then to her when her heart breaks. I could never do that to her." Rachel stays quiet till he looks back to her. "It was always about love. Starting with the first."
"What happened with the first then?"
"He loved, but not as deeply as he said. A witch loved him and he said he loved her. She found him in bed with another woman and cursed him. The wording has changed over time but the basics are known still. He was to walk the shadows of the world until it ended. He would love, but her body will change in a different way, and she will love another when she sees him. He will find him name, and be a parasite to humans. Their living energy will feed him, he will need it to be happy and to feel. He walked the night and starved because he could not find his name, so she sent a friend to him, a stag, to show him the name Hart. He broke her heart, so his name is Hart. He found a woman, he shared his curse with her, and she did not love him in return. She broke his heart as he had broken the heart of the witch."
"How could it be a curse? "
"Old magic could do that."
"Have you seen it?"
"No. Old magic died out long before my time."
"Died out?"
"The users were hunted before my time. Most were caught, others hid it so well they never taught their children. When it was finally safe for them to return to the world there were too few of them scattered over too wide an area. Their magic was of elemental life. They would easily have created a virus or something like it. Those who had the old magic would treat disease with herbs which were made stronger with their magic. Bringing out the medicine of the herbs to make them work better. It is late. Do you wish to go home?"
"Yeah, I should get going, I have to get up tomorrow. You gave me too much for the taxi last night."
"Keep it. I have enough."
"Sure?"
"Yes. Why do humans always insist on giving money back?"
"It's polite to offer."
"Is it rude to refuse?"
"No, it's nice, most people ask for it back."
"Would you like me to walk with you?"
"Yes please." The vixen watches them go, and he pats her head gently on the way past.

Comments