Glade Part 13 - Daywalker

Mako borrows Glade's computer and finds places to go during the day. He almost always gets bored in the day. L: "Don't get in trouble."
M: "How can I possibly get in trouble?"
"You always find a way to get in trouble."
"I promise I won't get in trouble."
"Remember to share, ok?"
"Why would I not share?"
"I'll see you later."
"I'll be back before dark."
"Course you will."
"I will. Why wouldn't I be?"
"Because you're very bad at keeping track of time."
"I've set the alarm on my watch."
"Good."
"Are you my teacher or my mother?"
"Worse, I'm your mate. Now clear off." He kisses her before he goes out.
There's not many museums around so he wanders along the water instead. It's nice today. Bright, but not too hot with the cool breeze. He notices a girl staring at him so he nods to her. He walks on but she runs up to him. "Mako?"
"You must be Rachel."
"Yeah. Hi. But I thought you're like Glade."
"I am."
"But you can't be."
"Oh, you mean because I'm out in the day."
"Yeah."
"Do you want to sit down somewhere?"
"Yeah." They wander back the way they came and sit in the shade.
"Did Glade say that some of us can go out in the day?"
"Yeah."
"Well I can."
"Oh. But how does that work?"
"We don't really know. Some people think that we just heal quicker than we burn. Some burn instantly, like younglings. Others can stay out a few minutes, like Glade. Others can stay out for hours, others stay out all day in the desert."
"What are younglings?"
"Let me guess, Glade lets you ask whatever you like."
"Yeah. Sorry."
"I don't mind, some of us are more inpatient. Younglings are what we call someone who has been a vampire less than fifteen years."
"Why fifteen?"
"We picked fifteen because at the time it was the age a boy was first called a man. Our rules say that someone has to be fifteen before we change them, and fifteen before they can turn anyone. Some are thinking of changing a few things, but it probably won't be for a long time yet. The new rules would be that we don't change anyone under twenty one."
"I guess it's not really fair to change someone when they haven't really experienced anything."
"I don't think it's fair. It does have some benefits though."
"Like what?"
"Someone who was changed young won't miss life quite so much because they just don't know what some of it means."
"I guess."
"Do you want to change?"
"Probably not."
"Good."
"Why good?"
"Because it means you won't rush into it if you change your mind."
"I'm just interested. I mean all my life I've known that vampires are just stories, but here you are."
"Yeah there's a few odd and old stories out there that are actually real. There's human vampires too. Not anything like us. They lack the same energy we need, but they're human apart from that."
"Really?"
"Yeah. What would I get by lying to you?"
"Nothing."
"Exactly."
"How old are you?"
"Me? About twenty four. Fifty four if you count life too."
"No I mean vampires in general."
"Oh. Well there's not really any way to know. I think we're about a thousand years old, but it could easily be older."
"Wow. Wait, what time is it?"
"Hang on, where'd my phone go? Uh, just gone half two. Why?"
"I'm sorry I'm going to be late for something, I really have to go. Bye."
"Bye."

Comments