Glade Part 17 - Chatting

Rachel stays there most of the night but wakes up when Mako goes out. R: "Morning."
G: "Good morning Rachel."
L: "Morning. How do you feel?"
R: "I'm fine. How could I hear you last night?"
L: "Sometimes when it's really important we can link with a human. It's weird, and we're really sorry that we had to do it, but it was an emergency."
R: "Why are you sorry?"
G: "It is considered rude to do it without permission."
R: "Oh. Uh, did you see anything?"
L: "No, we didn't see anything. It's just our words projected into your head."
R: "Couldn't you have told me what to say before?"
L: "We let you calm down, then you fell asleep before we told you."
R: "Ok. Where's Mako?"
L: "He's gone to see the guy at the hospital to see if he woke up yet."
R: "How long does it take then?"
L: "We don't know, we did the same thing at the same time and we haven't done that before."
G: "When abilities are used in unison the power is multiplied exponentially."
R: "I haven't been awake long enough for long words."
L: "We don't know how strong it would be. The longest he should be asleep for is about three days, but we hope for his sake tat he wakes up before then. We don't want the police asking us what we did."
R: "Doesn't the police guy know what you are?"
G: "No. Victor does not know what we are."
R: "Why not?"
L: "sometimes good to be the nut at the tend of the village who never goes out in the day."
R: "I'm going home now. Are the taxi cards still by the phone?"
G: "Yes. There are two new ones which may be cheaper."
R: "701 and 655?"
G: "I think so."
R: "I know 701, they're the best I've had a ride from so far. I'll try the other one."
G: "Would you tell me if this new one is good?"
R: "Yeah, sure...It should be here in a few minutes."
G: "Do you have enou-" He stops when Lana looks at him. He doesn't realise that people don't tend to like taking money from everyone else. R: "Enough what?"
L: "Sorry, he's not really used to dealing with people."
G: "Sorry."
R: "You lot are weird, you know that don't you?"
L: "Yeah. We know."
R: "How exactly is that useful?"
L: "People tend to not pay attention to someone they see as weird but harmless."
G: "I think the car is here." Rachel jumps a little and takes out her phone.
R: "Yeah, it should be."
L: "Got a text from them?"
R: "Call. I better go."
G: "Good bye Rachel." Lana gets up and wanders over to the door to see her out.
L: "Good morning."
R: "Yeah I guess it is. Morning. Wait I thought you couldn't go out in the day."
"It's cloudy and it's only just morning. It's not hot yet."
"Oh, makes sense. Light's not strong enough."
"Exactly. Maybe I'll see you again sometime."
"You visit often?"
"Not often enough. Maybe we could find you if you travel."
"Could Glade contact you?"
"Yeah, but you can have my number if you want."
"Ok. Um, I'm not sure how."
"Do you know your number?"
"Yeah." She gives her number, and Lana sends a text so she has her number. "Thanks."
"Anytime."
"I better go."
"Good bye."
"Bye." Lana stays at the door till the car goes round the corner and wanders back to Glade.
L: "What do you think of her?"
G: "She is calm and quiet."
"Do you think you'll change her?"
"No. I think she is only interested."
"Same here. I don't think she would really be happy like this. Do you regret being what you are?"
"No. I had nothing before. Now I have Raine, Malise, You and Mako, and many other friends."
"Yeah, I know we have eternal friends and lovers, but I miss being human. I miss the sun, I miss having to go to work or having children, or having a dog, I'd love to be able to have a dog."
"You can own a dog. there is nothing stopping you."
"I know there's nothing physically stopping me getting one, but I don't think I could live so long knowing that it's death is just around the corner. Then I'd want toget another one, and I'd know that it's death i just around the corner again, and I'd keep going, getting my heart broken every time one dies. It's bad enough knowing humans live about eighty years. Even if they did see me all their life I'd still see them get old, get sick, and die."
"I understand. This is why I have not had many human friends."
"You always were more practical than me."
"And you were always happier than me."
"Nah. I don't think so. Oh, I just remembered something I was going to tell you. I met another Fulmine."
"Where?"
"Florence, Italy. She's older than our Fulmine, and her eyes are purple."
"How could she have seen a purple flame?"
"I asked about that. In Italy Fulmine is the word for lightning, not fire. She saw purple lightning over Florence."
"I did not know there was another meaning for Fulmine."
"Did you speak or think?"
"We thought. I only know a few words of Italian. Mako knows more but we were exploring apart to see twice as much of the city by night."
"I would wish to stay with Raine as long as possible."
"You're different. You don't see her much. I don't know how I'd cope without being able to see Mako for so long."
"You would get used to it after a while. We link most days so we are not alone. I may be able to go to her soon."
"I wonder if could ever visit her."
"I doubt it."
"Are you still planning to move to an island?"
"Yea. One which is far enough from the mainland, and populated enough to hunt."
"That sounds nice."
"It should stop her being so aggressive."
"I hope so."

Comments